View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 09:40 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: 2 hands that caused some funny looks at the table

table rexture plays a large part in whether ill raise with QJ. this texture was pretty passive, and some played way too far postflop, so no need to raise. but because the game was that passive preflop, i limped. this was an offsuit hand (not sure if i put it in the post) and i wasnt getting anyone out. BUT, i could see the flop cheap. also, post flop, if any signifigant action, theyd fold. that's where it got a little tighter. 1 bet theyd call, 2 they ran a little.

the raise was also to try and clear up any outs that may beat me, should i hit a pair.

the pkt pair hand:

key piece of info was 'shorthanded'. when the game goes shorthanded, ill start raising alot to see how they play s.h.. sometimes theyll play tight. if they all start calling alot, then ill limp alot more and play em off the flop. especially if theyre calling alot postflop

that said, in a full game, i will raise this once in awhile. though usually i want a little higher. like 99. i raise with alot of stuff, but here's an idea. if you do raise with 77 and hit your set, they arent going to put you on it right away. especially if theyd 'only' raise with premiums.

another thing this can tell you is how your opponents may be percieving you. youre hand is ok, but youll see the action youll be getting. jsut a side benefit to watch for when pulling a play like this in a full game. primarily if youve been folding alot. which doesnt mean that theyll think your a tight player and fold. you could fold 5 hours str8 and raise your rockets and get 7 callers. only 1 way to test it, sometimes

dont get carried away with it. be careful. there are other spots to look for.

but it's also fun to try once in awhile. if you hit your hand, youll get some good looks from the rocks who think youre nuts for doing that.

your strategy is fine. but when you get on a table where you know everyone and have played alot with them, you may be forced to try different things.

experiment a little. but it is preferrable to limp and get in cheap when playing in EP.

hope this helps a little...

b