View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Password managment and security

It's very important to not use the same password on multiple accounts. My brother recently had his web based email account compromised (Yahoo). He had emails in there giving his Paypal and Ebay account details. Because he was using the same password as on his Yahoo email, they managed to purchase about $1000 worth of stuff before he noticed.

So if you use web based email, you should also make sure that you delete any emails containing account info. For instance, Neteller send you and email containing your Secure ID.

Passwords should be long (at least 8 characters, preferably 12), and should be a random mix of punctuation, upper and lower case letters and numbers. Never use names, words, or personal info (ie date of birth). You should change passwords on sensitive accounts at least every six months, or more often if you can.

Another useful thing to do is buy a shredder (one that cross cuts ideally). They're not too expensive. Any receipts/letters (utility bills etc) that you're going to throw out should be shredded beforehand. Receipts sometimes contain your entire credit card number, and any personal info could be used by identity thieves.

Also, make sure to regularly check all your online bank accounts for any suspicious activity. I recently went through my online bank statement and found several (though small) transactions that I'd never authorised.