View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: PLO high vs. PLO8

[ QUOTE ]

1. Hand requirements seem a lot tighter, so you play less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, all the omaha games require tight play. O/8 tends to seem very tight, because if you play properly, you will rarely get involved after the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

3. Play is a pretty straight forward as there is little need to get tricky, and you nearly always need to protect your made hands by betting/raising. PLO high seems like a richer game overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play is much more straight forwards because it is alot more cautious, especially among good players. Simply put, good players try to avoid getting involved in situation where they may get 3/4rd or freerolled. That's always the first thing on you're mind, because in PLO/8 you will get plenty of action when you are beat.

The net result is that PLO/8 rewards tight, cautious play, with the willingness to go for all the chips when it's needed. However developing an understanding of when to go for all the chips takes an enourmous amount of thinking and is very difficult.

[ QUOTE ]

Main compensation I see for the above is that the big pots are often bigger than they are in PLO high.

[/ QUOTE ]

The really big pots involve 3/4ring people who think they have the nuts. You sit and wait for 2 hours for that one big potwhere you get a freeroll/ 3-4 for all the chips.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I missing something about this game? I've gotten through half of Zee's book, but can't say it has added much to my impression of the game. PLO high and NLHE seem much more fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, in real life PLO/8 games break up 10 minutes after the live ones go busted. A tough PLO/8 game is awful.