View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Animal pain, suffering, and death: why does it matter?

[ QUOTE ]
What they did only matters to the history books, to those still alive (finite consciousness) to read about what they with their lives (finite consciousness) while they had them.
But even the human who reads the book "Of Caesar & SDM", will one day meet the great "infinite unconsciousness" like Caesar & SDM, and if that human is the last human on earth then all human effort exists only on record for another life to find - if another life exists, and if that record exists.

Either way, Caesar, SDM, and the last human don't care, because they unable to care - for to care one needs consciousness, and in death there is no consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

SDM,

Whew. You are correct in your statement above. If the entire race ends and no-one finds any record of us then nothing will matter in the end. But what does that have to do with mattering while we are alive - and with the original post. The fact that in the ultimate end we may never matter is not enough reason for me to not have things matter to me now. I do not live in the future but the present. Once I die, and everyone who knew me dies, it will be as if I never existed (maybe I didn't). But, that does not influence me what-so-ever in everyday life (should it)?