View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Is libertarianism at odds with Christianity?

One of the reasons that I admire the "teachings" of Jesus Christ (I put "teachings" in quotes not to mock them but because I'm not even sure the guy ever actually existed or said what is attributed to him; I am not a Christian nor a theist) is that they are fundamentally libertarian.

Some thoughts from my wife on the subject (more or less), who is both a libertarian and a Christian:

Politics and My Religion
Rachel Mills - September, 2004

"Never in our history has it been more imperative that Christians bring their values and beliefs to bear upon the world around them by embracing the privilege and responsibility of voting." - Dr. James Dobson

". . . to BEAR upon the world around them, by voting???" I want to throw something. I strongly suspect this man has heady designs on political power at some point. I firmly believe being a Sunday School teacher is a higher calling than town council, or even Congress.

Why? Because Christianity seeks to replicate itself in others as a moral code (partially) as one of its highest callings. In other words, convert others. Prosyletise. The Christian Right has their panties all in a wad about gay marriage and abortion. We must have laws protecting marriage! We must have laws saving the unborn! How did Jesus deal with parallel situations?

He saw the prostitute about to be stoned for adultery and He went straight to the Pharisees and said "We MUST have stronger laws against fornication! We must cure our society of this dispicable disease of lust! Whom amongst you is righteous enough to lead us to a more just society where my Father's moral code is strictly enforced, thereby making our land more pleasing to God?"

Wait... He didn't? But that's what James Dobson is doing. That's what my local Christian Coalition groupies are trying to do. (See Nathan Tabor.)

No no no no no. These men are not reading their Bible. If they are, how could they deal with the cognitive dissonance created by Jesus NOT doing that and instead TALKING down the angry self-righteous mob, getting in front of the stones, having guts, having mercy, showing love. Did you see "The Passion"? That was the moment I completetly lost it, because that is the Jesus that I know, from my personal experience.

My Jesus doesn't lobby. My Jesus loves.

My Jesus knows collective force is not success. Hearts, one at a time, are the prize. And since actions follow, hearts are the priority. Laws are irrelevant.

The problem is, this is where all the hard work is. One heart at a time is hard work. We have 290 million of those in this country alone. When you pare it down to 435 Congresspeople and 1 President, it starts looking like an easier bite to chew. But this is a faithless vision, where the mustard seeds merely irritate.

Christians! Your faith is better expressed at a Crisis Pregnancy Center and through paying attention to those around you, than at the ballot box if you really care about stopping abortion. Reach out through genuine love (not judgement) if you really believe. If you want to improve your society, you must hold hands, not sticks. You must be there every step of the way to help your brother lead a better life, and only when they see the stones coming might they accept your help, but you have to be there. Find a way. Get your nose out of the stupid NY Times or the Post, or James Dobson's little rally and find the time to ACTUALLY HELP someone who needs it, instead of putting on some show with the fellow pious.

I'm not saying don't vote. Voting is good. Moral politicians are good. But laws don't equal morality. Keep the law in perspective. It has a role not to be overestimated. The role of the Christian is higher than the law. Don't think that because you vote is has the remotest thing to do with being a good Christian. It's like saying because you watch "Friends", you're a good friend. It's simply not relevant. The realms are different. Not tangibly related.

True Christians express their faith through how they live, not how they vote. Voting takes fifteen minutes, Jesus wants your whole life.