Thread: Limit SNGs
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Limit SNGs

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, if you've played *any* limit STTs and think there isn't enough bad play to make playing them and beating the rake profitable....then you should quit poker

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a lie and you know it. I've played about 20-30 in my life and (I think) I'm up. Of course as you know, 20-30 ain't [censored]. My original arguement had to do with the fact that you'd rarely be able to gain any substantial advantage early because you'd generally have a *very* short stack compared to the blinds and I have no reason to assume that said situation is +EV. When I play ring games, I makes sure to always have enough money to cover a capped round of betting at each betting round. Here, we're talking about frequently only having enough to call a capped pre-flop. Maybe it seems more intuitively obvious to somebody with a lot of SNG experience, since you're put in this situation more frequently than I am. The reason I posted this here was because I wanted the opinions of people who were more experienced in this area than me.

[ QUOTE ]
As for SD, comparing limit ring and nl ring to STT limit and STT NL is most likely flawed. The SD for limit HE STTs and NL STTs (or ther other STT variants) will be very close. This is due to the payout structure of STTs more than how correct or incorrect strategy applies to them (and is taken advantage of). Yes, there will most likely be SD differences between NLHE STTs and LHE STTs, but I'd guess it will be negligible in the scheme of things...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably correct. I remember having a conversation with you once where you told me the SD of a SNG player is 1.7 Buy-ins, regardless of win rate or playing style. This leads me to believe that your win rate is more highly correlated with how many chips you can accumulate, rather than style. You could consider limit a "style" where every player only bets a predetermined ammount. In this case, you'd expect the SD to be 1.7 for most players at limit as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, where you're going with your ideas about ITM and ROI in limit make sense....I wouldn't be surprised if a higher ITM is acheivable in the limit STTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the above is right, then this is probably wrong unless you feel that you can gain a bigger advantage playing limit than NL.

One school of thought for early round limit SNG strategy is that you should play looser than normal in order to attempt to gain a chip advantage early. This would involve making plays that are -chipEV in order to make your placement distribution more lopsided by distributing more of your finishes near the top and the bottom. Your potential gain against a big field here is pretty big, while there's no real risk of getting a huge dent put in your stack with a hand like 96s, especially when compared to the size of later bets. If this theory is correct, then it probably is possible to get a higher ITM than in NL. On the other hand, going with the standard super-tight early strategy would likely give you no bigger ITM than in a NL SNG unless you can gain a bigger chip advantage against the field.

--GH