View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: I know I didn\'t play it right.

Warning, I haven't been playing a lot of poker recently, and when I have, it's been no-limit, but I'm trying to get back in the game, so here's my advice (not necessarily for use against typical 0.5/1 party donks):

You should definitely have raised this flop, maybe even for value against some hands like 66 that may be leading out to try to get you to fold. Getting increased folding equity on the turn would have been nice too...

(Edit: Hmm... Shant would have taken the free card and boz would have just called, so my stance here, which is to bet the turn if he checks to you, may be just a little too aggressive.)

...However, waiting to the turn to raise doesn't make sense for a few reasons:

1) If you had a hand, you would have attempted to charge him for it on this draw-heavy flop, so your turn raise isn't actually that scary. You'd also have wanted to try to find out where you stood on the flop rather than the turn if you had a real hand here.

2) It sucks when you get three-bet on the turn. I'm not sure of the math of this, but it sucks, trust me. You've got to be getting folds quite often here.

3) It's cheaper to try to fold the guy on the flop than on the turn.

So, raise the flop, but if you just call the flop, also just call the turn.

---

On the river, he hasn't done anything to show that he has a flush draw. Therefore raise. If he three-bets you, you've got a tough decision to make, because it looks like he bet-three-bet you with a set, trying to make an ace pay off, but once you raised the turn, you weren't representing an ace, and a hand like KK calls vs the river bet, so I'm not quite sure what he might have to make that play... So calling a three-bet is probably okay. But if you had just called the turn and he bet-three-bets on the river, now go ahead and cap it. The better your opponent plays, the more willing you should be to cap this river, if you just called the turn.