View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 PM

Default New Orleans Trip Report - Some light, fond memories

I realize that this subject is sensitive at the moment, but I just wanted to share with you guys the great time I had in New Orleans last week. My younger brother and I went to NO to visit our father. He moved there when DOW Chemical moved some of their offices down south last year. As of yet, I haven't been able to hear from him or my stepmother, but I did get word they were evacuating. On a lighter note...

I flew in on JetBlue and in my limited flying experience, I would deffinately recommend it. The crew was great, the personal TVs were a nice touch, and there was virtually zero hassle in boarding, baggage checking, and other assorted formalities associated with flying.

The first night we were there we hit-up Bourbon street for some partying and it was a great time. The atmosphere of the French Quarter was great. The people were friendly and relaxed and everyone who was just looking to have a good time.

I spent three nights playing the Harrah's 3/6 because I didn't really have the roll to play the 6/12 as suggested. This turned out to be a good thing because I was running very cold and managed to get a nice amount of second best hands. $300 bucks later, I'll still attest to the fact that the games were great, the dealers were competent, and the floor seemed to be run with efficiency.

I also happened to drive to the Harrah's Gulf Coast to play some poker as well. They had a 1-4-8-8 game going. It was new to me, but I like the betting structure. I broke just about even in the end, but I had a good time playing. Got some good info for my trip to vegas from some of the players as well.

On my last night (last Thursday) my brother and I decided to really party it up. I found out what 1800 gets you at Barely Legal and I managed to have a nice blackout in the process. I had a killer hangover on friday morning and I spent most of the trip back to JFK thinking "don't puke." Once the plane hit the ground I ran right for the bathroom and promptly threw up. A fitting end to a great vacation.

Thanks to everyone who gave me all the tips about the city.

-Freak