View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Sklansky\'s Intelligence Weighting as it Relates to God

[ QUOTE ]
Going back to something you said earlier.. You seem to want those who believe in God to admit it's pure faith and nothing more. I think you also said this faith was fine by you as long as they are willing to admit that since they cannot be convinced that they now have an irrational belief (I'm paraphrasing). Now who is ever going to admit to THAT?

[/ QUOTE ]
Language is tough but when I say 'not rational' I don't mean 'irrational'. Faith cannot be a product of reason (i.e. rational) or its not faith. Everyone has beliefs that are not rational, even me and I believe almost nothing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
So my question to you is: What's wrong with arriving at the conclusion of God's existence through philosophical means?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing at all but it doesn't take much philosophical study to realise that if such a conclusion is possible its not via the simplistic arguments usually presented (first cause, pascals wager etc) and the sophisticated arguments are way beyond anyone who hasn't studied philosophy very seriously and can't possibly be the basis for most peoples belief.

chez