View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: 30-60 Stud 8 Hand

I would probably limp on third. The primary reason for raising with big pairs on third street is to knock people out. Since almost everyone folded, you have much less incentive to raise. The limper isn't folding, and if the bring-in is inclined to fold on third, he'll probably fold on fourth anyway. I like to keep the pot small in this spot in case it comes down badly on fourth.

And guess what--it came down badly on fourth. There's something in Ray's book that didn't really sink in until I had read it twenty-something times. He says that if you're on a high hand, and two other players with low door cards catch cards that are close in rank to their door cards on fourth street, that is the time to get away from your high hand. The bring-in may not have much of a hand, but I'd still be cautious. I would check and fold if the bring-in bet, but probably take one off and not really like it if the other other guy bet. On fifth, I would check and call. Seat 7 should have a made low, and seat 1 should be drawing pretty good, so I'm not too crazy about two Queens. Checking it down after that is definitely best in my opinion.