View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: (OT) What does the Party Leader Board really mean?

I played about 500 $33 STT each of November and December (as of today). Both months my ROI was about equal at 13%. I don't really play any MTT or STTs of other levels. I 4-table in sets for what works out to be around 100 hours per month.

Each month i have been floating between 150th-250th on the leaderboard.

I think another 25% more points would get to me about #100.

So it would seem that Leaderboarders might:

Play more than 20 tournes per day.
Make more than 13% ROI @ around 40% ITM.

Neither of these is an indicator of a great player, but they must be decent if they aren't losing a lot of money playing that many games, especially multi-tabling. The FAQ says 16% indicates someone as being "very good at what they do" while 4-tabling the $33s, so we could consistently say that top 100 Leaderboarders are "very good".

Also, given variance and such, it would be safe to say that anyone on the leaderboard for more than 2 months in a row should be biased towards the high side of very good.

I offer the following info as a "data point" for anyone starting out wondering about getting to the leaderboard. I think there are many, many players much, much better than me.

To get to my quasi-accomplishment of ~200th, i played 100 hours a month for the last 6 months. Played about 2,500 STT. Studied TOP, SSHE, TPFAP, HOH1+2 reading each 2-3 times each till i "got it", and these forums. @ 17 i was 4th in the U.S. for minor blitz chess players. I also have a finance degree, and never tilt [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am assuming that if i don't want to play more hours in the day, i will have to 8-table @ about the same ROI to make it to the top 50 on the leaderboard.

Hope this is useful to someone, i would have loved more "bios" when i was starting out.