View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 12:28 AM

Default What I do not understand about the conservative ideology

I know that conservatives have, throughout this country's history, generally advocated "limited government", supporting such ideas as limited taxation, limits on gun control, more power to the states/weaker central government, free trade, stronger property rights, opposition to affirmative action, etc.

So why do they often oppose the side that would seem to support "limited government" on other issues, like legalization of marijuana, lower legal age for drinking/gambling, assisted/attempted suicide, censorship, abortion, gay marriage, and sodomy, among othes?

I know that there are different arguments for each of these issues that go beyond how much the government should control one's actions, but it seems to me like in all of these cases, the usual conservative propensity for limited government is superceded by a strict adherance to the Christian ethos. This worried me because it violates the separation of church and state that is supposed to prevail in all branches of government.

Mondern conservative positions on some issues in particular seem counterproductive and anachronistic, and are based on lawmakers' insistence on forcing people to do what they think is good for them. Many of these positions relate to so-called "victimless crimes." For instance, why should somebody be punished for not wearing a seatbelt, underage drinking and gambling, smoking marijuana, or attempting/assisting another with suicide? The only potential victim is the perpetrator (in the case of assisted suicide I will presume mutual consent.) Wouldn't someone who supports limited government oppose the criminality of such actions? In the case of underage activities, why not at the very least take decisionmaking authority away from legislators and grant it to a parent or guardian? A parent or guardian must be present for someone under 17 to see a rated R movie, so why should it be any different for drinking or gambling?

I know that there will be some contrasting opinions on this subject so I would appreciate it if all who respond would please be civil and refrain from describing me or others as "liberals", "leftists", or other uncomplimentary characterizations. Hope this turns into an interesting discussion thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]