View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: No. Furthermore...

I agree in general with what you say. There will tend to be fewer fish per table as you move up. But there always be fish.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing at a REALLY low limits (.25/.50), this battle may continue forever, because it's hard to imagine EVER getting ANYONE to EVER fold ANY hand it only costs .50 to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but this calling station mentality is not strictly limited to very low limits. It's a character trait, not a limit traight. As spank says, you need to learn how to recognize when this tool (betting to take down the pot uncontested) will not work so you don't waste lots of bets counting on it to work.

[ QUOTE ]
DON'T GIVE UP

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't agree with this statement 100%. I beleive that most people can learn to play this game profitably with just a little work and patience. That doesn't mean that most everybody should. I'm not telling you to quit, but it is possible that you don't have the personal make-up to handle the long term "fairness" of the game and you may just really be better off finding other ways to fulfill your life. The game appears very unfair at times, and for those of us who thrive on "fairness" and immediate reward for proper play (I suffer from this affliction) can suffer severe emotional swings when the game is being unkind.

Personal "victory" story:
I am working very hard on remembering the "long term" aspect of the game and not getting caught up in the short term rotten breaks. I had a session this week that was pure nonsense; nothing held up, I couldn't catch a draw, blah, blah, blah. I dropped 25 BB in 3 hours. I didn't like it one bit, but I patted myself on the back for just rolling with it and chalking it up to one of those nights. This seems stupid, but it's a bit of a breakthrough for me. Keeping solid stats helps; I noticed that this bad session reduced my hourly wage by only $.15. So that's all it did, lowered my "salary" from $10.65/hr to $10.50/hr for the month to date.

Seeing things from this angle, really helps to ease the blow of a few bad sessions.

If I couldn't find a way to deal with the short term uglies I would have to give it up because it goes beyond game tilt - I go on life tilt and that can't be good.

Does it affect you that severely? Find a way to deal with it or quit. It ain't worth it.