View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Poker as a living. How to deal with my family?

I'm sorry for being blunt with someone I obviously don't know, but then the problem seems to be you, not your parents. They seem to be completely right then. They said they want you do more with your life, and you just said that you are unable to focus on things you know you should be doing.

I was not saying poker was a grind (it can be, but I dont find it so). It's just not rewarding. You never really get a sense of accomplishment. Poker is just money, treat it as such. Thats why I said get a job you want and play it on the side. You can have a rewarding job and not have to live like a pauper.

You are right about that most jobs now aren't worth it to you compared to poker - I certainly understand and agree with that. Find a happy medium with a prt time one and work on your poker. Make sure you work on bankroll management as your #1 skill, prove to yourself you're not some degenerate gambler. Keep records of everything. Never take money for bills and expenses to pay for poker. And never rely on poker winnings in order to pay bills unless you have an absurd amount stashed away.

You're capable of doing this. As you continue on your way you ma find you lose interest in poker and enjoy a normal job, or you may find the opposite to be true. There is no way you'll ever know for sure unless you do both for a while. Don't pretend you do already.