View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Poker as a living. How to deal with my family?

[ QUOTE ]
You should be able to pay all bill with income from your job and use poker income for everything else, this is the ideal set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty close to achieving this, my part time job does take care of 90% of my monthly bills and poker easily covers the other 10%.

[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely no reason you can't play poker and finish school while having a decent job. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a part time job and playing poker for secondary income, you're parents should be able to agree to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no intentions of not returning to school. I discovered the past semester that my heart just wasn't in school and I was not working nearly as hard as I should have and my GPA dropped because of it. I then decided that I should wait until my desire to learn has returned again.

I am content having a part time job while playing poker, but my parents really want me to get a 9-5 job.

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of jobs that you can do which would be more fulfilling than poker (and pay better). Playing poker hour after hour isn't fun, it's a grind. Stay in school and find something that you would be interested in doing for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont find playing poker hour after hour to be a grind, but that is just me. I don't believe that I have seen any jobs for which I am qualified where the pay is better than $32 an hour(assuming I 4 table 2/4 with a 2BB/100 winrate). In fact 32 x 8hr x 5 days x 52 weeks= 66560 per year. I am a aerospace engineering major and it is something that I am VERY interested in doing for the rest of my life. The average starting pay for an Aerospace engineer is roughly 45000 per year. So assuming that I can continue to win at 2+BB/hr/table I would make more than if I went into my chosen field. The only reason I am not continuing to pursue my degree is because I don't want to be spending money on college if I am not going to be putting my full effort forth. I like to do the best that I can at whatever I do and I just can't do that at the moment.