View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: New to NL ring games

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people would play an overpair or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] that way, particularly A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], so once you see the flop, I don't think you can get away. Keep in mind that when you flop two-pair, there are only 5 possible sets rather than the 9 there would be if you had an overpair, and it's not so likely that someone would raise with 77. It's natural for someone with top two to stack off to bottom set.

I recommend open-raising preflop with QTs since you are 2 off the button. That wouldn't have helped, as 77 would call and stack you anyway.

Once you have limped, I think you should fold to the raise. You are out of position with a hand that is often dominated.

You may want to play at a lower level. You might be used to playing with a lot more money in limit, but NL $100 might be analogous to $3-$6 or $5-$10. Would you start there? In NL, you will make a lot of expensive mistakes at first, and you might want to work on the basics at a lower level. I'd set a stop-loss of another 3 buy-ins, and if you lose those, move down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the well thought out advice. It is true that I play alot bigger at limit. I actually started clearing the 2 Party bonuses at the $50NL full tables but it was only being raked about 60% of the time and I was getting bored out of my mind and starting to gamble it up.