View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: General question: AK in the BB vs a lot of limpers?

[ QUOTE ]
The other day I had AK and it was five or six limpers to me in the BB. I didn't want to check of course, but also didn't really like the idea of 3 or so callers, so I decided to make it an even $100, making a $30 overbet. Much like I expected, they all folded (I dont play LAG or have that image).

But what if someone calls? Do I assume I'm second-best on the flop unless an ace or king comes? If I do hit, I probably won't be paid off, and if I do get it all in I'm most likely beat.
If I do the same with big pairs, people can't call and bluff when I miss, which makes this even more of a 'win it or be forced to check it down' situation. Is this bad?

What comes to mind is a hand in Ciaffone's book. He advocates to make an overbet in that spot with AJ, to most probably steal the pot right away, and do the same with AA, to balance your game. However, AK seems to 'in the middle' for that - neither a borderline good-ish hand not a monster. I think it's a waste to play it as either one of those.

What's your plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to here opinions from others on this as well. I often have a problem figuring out what to do with good but not great hands out of the blinds (AK, AQs, JJ).