View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Choose your own adventure.

Here's my thoughts again on the hand as a whole, as well as results.

Preflop: Villain has shown in the past that he is willing to break tempo (i.e. the hand where I raised PF and he bet into me on the flop with air and kept betting, as well as some other hands where I raised flop and he bet the turn). This means that even if I do raise him here, he might try to take it away later postflop and since I'd like to play a large pot here (obviously flop dependent), I may as well start building it now.

Flop: His raise could mean many things. He might put me on AK (or just big cards in general). He might also have a set, two pair, KK, AA, whatever. He could also just be testing the waters with a mediocre hand or even have pretty good equity against me. In any case, I think ~$30 going into this flop is the perfect amount for a turn checkraise all in, because the pot will be $80 and our stack $100 on the turn, meaning if he bets his normal 1/3-1/2 pot bet, he will have great odds to call with just about any legitamite hand he holds, a range of which I am way ahead.

Turn: Ok, bad card to check raise all in. A lead here sort of sucks because if he does push all in I could be in a really rough spot. At this point I change my plan to a check/call because at this point I'm (a) not quite as far ahead of his hands and (b) less likely to get a call from a hand I'm behind if I do checkraise. Also, this villain really doesn't seem sofisticated enough to minraise flop and check behind on a draw (or at least I'm hoping he isn't).

River: Dunno if this river helped or hurt but I'm obviously willing to get it all in at this point, because I beat anything but a flush or flopped straight (which I think is unlikely, this guy was raising with big cards mostly). At this point a check is fairly likely to induce a bluff from complete air or a value bet from hands that beat me, but I do believe he will check behind here with one or two pair and maybe even a smaller set (can't be sure there). I should have probably check/raising here, but ended up pushing. He called with A8o.