View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Quitting Your Job Articles

Hi Everyone:

I'm actually somewhat concerned about the articles on "Quitting Your Day Job" that Dr. Alan Schoonmaker is writing. I think there are several major points that he's missing, and I find the articles in direct contrast to my view of playing poker very seriously, as well as being way too pessimistic and downright depressing.

I think the way to explain this is to look at my history. From 1982 to 1987 I was working as a mathematician/statistician for the Northrop Corporation. My specialty was probability theory and by most standards I had a terrific job and was doing well in the company. My pay in 1986 was right at $50,000 a year which was a lot for that time frame, and I had been told that very soon the company would be moving me into management. But the next year I quit my job to play poker even though my superiors encouraged me to stay on.

Much of my motivation for leaving was not that I would make more money playing poker. In fact, my original plan was to play small limits and move to Las Vegas where the cost of living was about half of Los Angeles.

But there was one other thing that would be very different. I would now enjoy my life and have the freedom that I wanted. Yes there was risk involved in what I planned. But it was a risk I wanted to take, and if things didn't work out, I would face that fact that when the time came.

I suspect that many people who try to turn pro have similar motivations. They are simply looking for a better life, one they might enjoy. If it means they make less money, drive an old car, and don't live in a fancy house, then that's fine. This is exactly what happened to me and I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

I believe that many of the problems that Dr. Al talks about won't happen as long as you make the effort to have a good understanding of the game. Yes there are some degenerates around the poker rooms, and we all know a few of them. But most of these people would be just as pathetic if poker didn't exist and there's no need to focus on them.

Best wishes,
Mason