View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Not hearing much on the Delay indictments suddenly

[ QUOTE ]
Where did I say he had been exonerated? But when DeLay's lawyer filed a motion to dismiss, Ronnie Earle, in less than a day, with a brand new grand jury, managed to get an indictment on money laundering charges, you have to start thinking maybe there wasnt much merit to the charges. And Im quite sure you know about all these developments, why you are being deliberately obtuse is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you see an indictment on a charge carrying potential penalty of life in prison as an improvement over an indictment on a charge carrying a penalty of six months to two years? Ummmm, ok.

Let's just say that I know enough about how criminal law and plea and charge bargaining work to know that it is difficult to draw any firm conclusions from the publicly available information. I can construct arguments "proving" that the indictments are baseless and politically motivated and I can construct arguments "proving" that Delay knows his goose is cooked and has been trying to work out a plea-bargain that salvages his political career. But what I *believe* is that we don't know that *either* of those things are true yet.

Obviously, you have put your faith in Delay's ethics. Ummm...good luck with that, I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]