View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Poker, Zen, How you feel in your gut/love mucle, the game by math

Ok, like others have said you're a long, long way from becoming a winning player but you're analysing your play and posting on here which is a big step in the right direction. I'll take your points one by one

im down about 2k

As you rightly point out this does mean you're not a very good poker player but like you also say admitting this is hard, its good you've done it.

-Poker can be beaten and you can make a lot of money.

Correct, having a good knowlage of players that have succeeded and and general understanding of where you stand in the ranking of poker players will really help you with the long run. This forum is great for this. I know which posters are the same as me, those who know less and those who know far more. Its nice to have a place.

If you are centered and maybe outside of the game things are going well and you have your groove on, you have good karma, it comes across into the game and you end up winning, that will only last as long as you stay non greedy once you become greedy its like a switch gets hit and its all down hill from then on.

Right, here is where you start to go wrong. Firstly your use of karma and description of your poker fortunes in streaks are two MAJOR flaws in your thinking. Good and bad runs do happen, we've all been through them but they are simply random arrangements of the chances that govern poker hands. Your brain is wired to pick up patterns don't be fooled. These things will happen if you're a winning or loosing player, they are certainly not triggered by karma or anything else.

-The best tip ever given that I read was when Dole.B said you have to change gears, know what this means..

Yes, if you're playing in the World Series, no if you're playing anything under $2/$4. No one will notice you've changed gears at low levels so play an optimal game, which is almost certainly tight and aggressive.

-Poker is not about what 99% of the books tell you, you make money in poker with trapping hands, period, if you cant put me on a hand ever then you are in one tough situation, this means.

Again no. Poker is 99% what the books tell you. Getting trappy, slowplaying and bluffing are the classic mistakes made by bad players. You are probably far too focused on each hand. Do you catch yourself thinking 'Man I had the nut flush. I bet and he folded. I should have slowplayed, I had the nuts and should have made more.' If you do, stop as soon as possible, if the play is correct then the result in each hand doesn't matter. You're not always goign to be able to win money.

-Once you sit down as a man you start to want to control things with the lower part of your body, your energy starts to get vexed when this dont go your way and you go on tilts, I have tryed every thing from just getting in from a massage girl to praying to litening to brainwave generator (available freeware online), I just cant seem to sit down for extended periods of time and not loss the plot, watch your self guys.

Yup avoiding tilt is key, espcially live whre people will notice quickly and expoit you.

Sorry if any of this was patronising but thats the way I see it.