View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Pros in high limit games on Full Tilt

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what you guys think about pros playing in the big games on Full Tilt (100/200, 25/50NL). IMO they are generally hurting the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so.

[ QUOTE ]
People playing 100/200 mostly aren't doing it to get the thrill of playing against really good players. They are there to make money. Now if a good limit playing pro sits down (like d'agostino, ivey etc), this would not benefit that perspective. I've seen it often enough that a 100/200 was going between two 'unknowns', then a well playing pro sits down, and the game dies within minutes. So, the pro, who should be benefitting Full Tilt is actually hurting them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also not true.

[ QUOTE ]
I fully understand the benefit of pros in the lower limit games. It's for a lot of people exciting to play against players who you've seen on TV. In the high limit games it just doesn't work that way, and often enough the players playing these limits have already played against many pros anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you play in high stakes games, you have to play against other pros, especially on the internet. That's just the way it works. Frankly, you'd be surprised at how many of these "name" pros play in ring games. Many have steaming problems, some don't adjust as well to changing game conditions, and some actually play very well. Really, there's no difference between playing these guys and anyone else. I know, because I play these games.

As for people thinking that the money isn't significant, I just have to laugh. This is a plenty big game, and the money that one can win (or lose) in these games is HUGE. With the exception of Ivey, this limit is what most of these pros actually play in B&M games, if they play cash games at all. Put it another way: if you can make 1500 a day playing 1/2 online, and you play 300 days a year, you're looking at making almost a half-million a year. That's more than all but a few players make. Why do you think that the top players are doing it?

I realize that F.T. pays it's name players to play, but if they are losing in the games, then they will go broke. I don't see them making enough to recover anywhere near their losses. It's no different than "hosts" or props in games at B&M clubs.