View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Because it really deserved its own thread.

[ QUOTE ]
This post really points out how important it is to not fold when the pot is big on the river for one bet, and you have a decent hand for showdown. I get the feeling from some of the posts I've read recently that people here are trying to make big laydowns on the river. This is a bad thing to do.

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

the collective mentality of thie micros forum tends to vacillate between LAG & weak-tight, with the latter being the current case.

for me, only very recently has the light come on w/ the application of NPA's principle of, "when in doubt, if the pot is big, play more loosely & more aggressively. play more tightly & passively when the pot is small"

Now, i'm one of those that believes you should always try to make the right decision. if you've somehow made it to the river with 23o vs 5 other people and the board AAKT7 rainbow, i don't care if there's 1000 bets in the pot; you're not winning. Save a bet & fold.

But when there's doubt, as there should often be, when the pot is large, especially HU and especially with position, you should release your inner-LAG. that's not carte blanche to just go raise-happy- sometimes even calling is LAG'ish.

Pots lost on river-play that Hero should or can win is a statistic we can't track in PT but i'm sure has an overwhelming impact on the most important stat of all: $$-won...

edit: my 1st hand example was bad...