View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Shortstack Abuse

Grammatical Edits a la Mark:

[ QUOTE ]

Dear Party,
While I am generally impressed with the gaming services you offer, there is one persistent annoying for me and many other players: Currently you allow your minimum buy-in to be 1/5 of the maximum buy-in. So when I play 2000 NL, players are allowed to buy in for $400. If they win or lose a pot, they are allowed to leave the table and re-enter the table, returning to $400, despite having significantly[/b] more money on the table only 20 seconds earlier.

This mass of short-stacked players has proven more than an annoyance, but debilitating to legitimate players. The players who buy in for the minimum usually have two moves:

1. Go all-in preflop, usually over the top of a pre-flop raise
2. Fold

This is hurts the game on a number of different levels:

1. By going all in pre-flop, they destroy the pace and flow of the game. The other players have to play less hands to adjust because they have to be in fear of being raised over the top preflop. This is bad for you because it results in less rakethe game becomes less loose and aggressive.

2. Whenever I see two of these type of players, I immediately leave the table, because going all in before the flop repeatedly isn’t real poker. It's a waste of my time, and it's not as fun to be forced to player a tighter, more conservative style.

3. When the short-stack goes all in preflop and wins a race to get his stack up to $800, he is then allowed to leave the table and come back with $400. This is absolutely ludicrous, I’ve never heard of taking money off the table in a NL, PL game.
<u>This isn't really a reason it hurts the game. It's just stating that something you already said hurts the game.. hurts the game.</u>

How to Solve the Problem:

1) The most common way this problem has been solved by the other major poker networks is to not allow short-stacks to leave the table and come back with a different stack amount for a designated period of time. So if players double up to $800, they cannot come back to that same table with less money. With a bigger stack, it is much less mathematically equitable to have a strategy of simply going all in or folding pre-flop.

This is good because now for at least one hour, I am spared of this player ruining the pace of this specific tables’ game. I will actually get to see flops and play real poker.

2) Another way to solve the problem would be to increase the minimum buy-in. Changing the buy-in from 1/5 to 2/5 would go a very very long way in solving the problem.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
x

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably didn't get everything, but it's a start.
-mark