Thread: 150/300 hand
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: 150/300 hand

Someone, please explain why BK should checkraise the turn.

He checkraised the flop and then this Lager guy - a "pretty solid player" - 3 bets him on a J75 rainbow flop.

I certainly ain't going to be confident enough with JT to checkraise the turn particularly when it is a deuce because he will know that the card didn't hit BK. When BK checkraises the turn, his hand is most likely still 1 pair and he should know that. He therefore ain't dropping say A7. Worse, he might 3 bet and BK might fold. He certainly ain't dropping a Jack and if he has a Jack, chances are that his kicker is better than a Ten (i.e. he might have called preflop with J9 or J8 but probably not J6 and worse. He of course calls with JQ,JK, and JA).

Bk's hand is good enough for a showdown but I see no resaon to checkraise the turn other than simply trying to be aggressive without a purpose.

If BK wanted to maintain the riole of the aggressor, it's better to 4 bet the flop and follow up with a turn bet than it is to play possum on the flop and then come to life with a turn chcekraise.

If it turns out that BK's checkcall on the turn leads to the river going check check and BK wins...well, I wouldn't rue missing out on a raise on the turn. BK's hand and position simply dictated that result.