Thread: Iran
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Iran

[ QUOTE ]
theweatherman,

I am having trouble following your line in comparing the US to Iran in the following SATish sense:

1) Sending/Funding/Organizing suicide bombers to kill as many innocent people as possible is to Iranian terrorism - as - ________________ to kill as many innocent people as possible is to American terrorism.

Also, in what way would you compare the 38 or 39 country coalition's initiative to remove Saddam Hussein's unpleasant and threatening dictatorship and install a democratically elected coalition government - to - Iran's intiative to "wipe Israel off the map"?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct in stating the similarities are not absolute. The Us has sponsored anti-state terrorism. In some cases they did not control the results of this sponsorship. If the terrorists blew themselves up it would of been out of the US's hands. Becasue of this I make little difference in blindly supporting/ creating a terrorist faction, and actively supporting a suicide bombing terrorist faction.

First off Saddam's government was democratically elected. The legitimacy of the voter's intent is the only questionable part. But this is tangental.

I have not seen any remarks of how the state of Israel is to be wipedoff the map. There were allusions made to expelling the Jews, I have not heard or read anything that makes this claim. I would certainly want to read it if someone can show me. This said I see little difference between destroying Iraq's government and replacing it with a completely different one and destroying the Israeli governement and replacing it with a different one.

Don't forget that Iran would have a coalition of several Arab nations in this endevor, so coalitions are inaccurate methods of compare.

As a side note Iraq's "democratically elected government" is looking more like a theocracy all the time. If the US helps set up a government whos laws are second to those of Islam, why would Iran's probablly similar mission in the Israeli terroitories be seen any differently?