View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Raising for free cards/ buying outs with draws PLO...

-fold, don't draw to non-nuts?

That is an option and generally the line I will take if I know people will call big bets with OE Straight Draws, nut or second nut flush draws, or small wraps on a 2 flush board.

-call and draw cheaply?

I think this is almost always the wrong line to take. You'll end up sharing a bunch of split pots or having tough decisions to make when you flush card comes.

-raise a bit to take control, maybe get a free card?

I'm not generally fond of raising 'a bit' unless the situation dictates it. Generally I want to raise enough on the flop to make my opponent face a tough decision on the turn if they choose to call.

-raise a lot/pot it to try to force out draws that dominate yours, maybe buy the pot right there, and/or get a free card?

Against the vast majority of players, this is the right move. If you are in a situation where you have a 16+ out draw against a player you believe to have a set, and they will fold bottom or middle set even 10% of the time to your raise, you will make money raising there in the long run. If you know that they will reraise no matter what or that other players will call with weaker draws to stronger hands, then generally you should fold since your ev will be neutral or negative.

-what about non flush or straight draws, like a set of fives on a 456 flop? would any of these apply?

It's fairly opponent dependant. I like raising for disinformation against TAG players since a fair amount of them will not reraise the flop without a great redraw but will not fold either and I will often get a free card on the turn or they will choose the wrong time to represent a boat against my supposed straight.

Against a super LAG player, there is often an argument for raising a set on a three card straight flop since their range of potting hands is so huge, you are likely ahead and have outs if you aren't.