View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Sleep Apnea Surgery - any experiences with UPPP?

I too, suffer from this affliction. I've been on a CPAP for the last 6 years.

The original ENT that I went to suggested a UPPP, but also got me started on the CPAP. I got a second opinion from another ENT (who had been mentioned in the news regarding a new kind of surgery involving sound waves - not sure whatever came of that), and he confirmed the diagnosis of apnea, but determined that it was caused not by my uvula or palette, but that my tongue was falling back into my throat as I slept. The UPPP may have been the worst thing that could've happened to me, because it would've stopped the snoring, but not done anything for the apnea.

My point being, be sure that you have been diagnosed with the right kind of apnea. The procedure that led to my diagnosis involved putting a fiberoptic tube with a camera down my nose into my throat, and then videoing what happened when I attempted to breathe through my nose with it pinched shut. The doc even let me keep a copy of the tape. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I am confident that this is the correct diagnosis (or at least much more correct) because if I sleep on my stomach or sleep in any position with my head facing downwards (like in a chair with my chin on my chest), I don't have apnic episodes (I still snore, so it drives my wife nuts).

I spoke with another doctor in his practice, and he mentioned hyoid (sp?) bone surgery - this is apparently a small bone near the lower jaw that has tongue ligaments attached to it. It can be drawn closer to the front of the jaw, pulling the tongue with it. At the time, it sounded too radical, so I didn't pursue it any further (this was about 5 years ago).

Fast forward to today, and I believe (yet to be confirmed by anyone with MD in their name) that the years of CPAP therapy pushing my tongue out of the way (and into my lower teeth) while I sleep has given me somewhat of an underbite (which my parents so lovingly paid for correcting during my teen years). My front teeth scrape together sometimes when I eat, and I often find myself with my tongue between my teeth (muscle memory??) when I am just sitting around (and noticing such things). Even right this second I can't close my teeth all the way because the fronts are interfering with each other. After I go see my dentist next, I may have to reconsider the surgical options for apnea treatment.

Anyway, good luck to you, whichever route you choose. I'd be interested in knowing the outcome.

-David