View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: My questions after 2005

1)Why was Afghanistan acceptable to attack, but Iraq was not?
Afghanistan harbaored and aided the terrorists who planned the 9/11 attacks. Iraq did not. More important, invading Iraq got us into a no-win quagmire and is tying up vital military resources that may be needed elsewhere.
2)Are we truly at war?
Practically, yes, We have troops in a foriegn country, shooting at people and being shot at. Legally, no.
3)Is the Patriot Act a good thing?
Some provisions (attaching wiretap warrants to people rather than specific phones) may be useful. Other parts (allowing snooping into people's reading habits for one) are unnecessary and intrusive.
4)Which is more important: our lives, or our freedom to live them the way we choose?
Both are equally important. However, the notion that we must sacrifice our freedom to save our lives is utter nonsense.
5)Why is Iraq so important?
Oil, strategic location.
6)What is our goal?
To esablish a stable, friendly, democratic government. Unfortunately, it may not be achievable, and almost certainly not achievable under current policies.
7)Four years later, have we overreacted to 9/11?
Over-reacted, and reacted incorrectly.
8)Have the lives we've lost in Iraq been less than the lives we've saved in doing so?
I'm not conviced that we've saved any lives in our Iraqi venture, and may even have cost lives in adition to those lost in the actual conflict.
9)Is this a temporary state, or a new paradigm of America?
A temporary state is my fondest hope. A new paradigm my worst fear.
10)Are things better?
No, and it's not close.
[ QUOTE ]
I realize that many of these questions are unanswerable. Frankly, I'm just bewildered by what's happening in our country. It would seem that no one remembers we will be electing a new President in two years, and that much of this will change(barring we elect Cheney). I just don't know what's happening. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a significant probability that we will never have another presidential election. I hope I'm wrong.