View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Balancing poker, social life, and career goals (long but please read)

Hey, I'm 19, I'm a junior in college, and I plan on playing for a few years right out of school, and moving to Vegas. I don't really go out anymore, instead spending most weekends playing poker, and maybe drinking once a month. My rationale is this: A lot of money can buy a lot of fun.

Hopefully when I'm in my mid-twenties I'll be having a lot more fun than my current buddies who are partying it up but will be working 9-5's in a couple years. For them these are the best years of their lives but for me they are just me paying my dues before I get to really enjoy it. It's all about utility. Decide what makes you happier. I know hitting 7 figures is worth more to me than getting wasted, although it's a lot closer than I make it out to be.

If you plan to work an office job, I would live it up now. But if your future involves you being your own boss and making your own hours, I would work hard now to secure that. But it's really a decision only you can make.