View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Top pair mess in the 22s

[ QUOTE ]

Unpleasant situation. I strongly believe that playing the hand preflop is correct (and calling is fine). On the flop I would bet 75-100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, you are on the button, and will have position for the rest of the hand, there is nothing at all wrong with calling here for t30 with ATs. Unless you can't play post flop of course.

[ QUOTE ]
Betting 100 is fine because the board is reasonably coordinated, the downside is the pot gets a little more out of control when someone calls as opposed to having someone call a 75 chip bet. However most draws here will call whether you bet 75 or 100. Either bet is basically fine though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and also any smaller Ax will also call here. A check behind is okay, if you want to induce a bluff at a later stage, but probably better just to get money in the pot now when you've got the best hand the vast majority of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn it's very annoying, because you are playing against someone whom is probably a donkey, and they are betting barely 1/3rd of the pot. If they had such a strong hand they would usually check raise. I would call the turn and the river, but wouldn't be excited about it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, although the river bet size is even more annoying, because he's probably picked up some jammy two-pair or other with his A now.

[ QUOTE ]
If my random $22 opponent felt the best way to trap me with his huge hand was to flat call on the flop and make a small bet on the turn as opposed to check raising the flop or turn, then congratulations to him, he tricked me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - most won't play a big hand this way at all.