View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Best wine/champagne for Thanksgiving

As mentioned, beaujolais is always a reliable, timely choice. And if the crowd isn't all that into wine, its profile should please.

The extent of the t-day spread should factor into your choice, particularly if there are a significant number of items that have a sweeter side. If this is the case, I would definitely shy away from beaujolais.

For red, personally I dig Grenache or a Rhone style blend that is heavy on Grenache. I tend to stick to France as well. I think that many of the Aussie blends pack a bit too much of a punch for the bird, though some California selections maintain enough restraint.

For white, riesling is a rather standard choice. Here again though, you must consider the sweetness level in the food when matched with the sweetness level in the wine. I really dig Monchoff Spatlese Urziger Wurzgarten. It should be in the low twenties (and its rated 90 by Parker if people care about that kind of thing). It has a subtle sweetness, but I really think that its spice and minerality can nicely contrast various t-day dishes and bring out certain flavors that can be lost (herbs in stuffing for example).