View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: $11: Should I even be playing?

I think I'm in a similar situation as you. I like ring games, but am bored unless I am working off a bonus playing 6 tables. MTTs take too long, as you say (reminded myself last night). STTs are a nice blend. Fixed length, tourny style.

Just enjoy it, but the advice here is pretty valuable, even for a game-a-night. I play at PP, PokerRoom (PR) and Ulitimate Bet (UB). Started at UB and got used to deeper stacks. Found 2+2 very helpful for when I started more at PP. They taught me to love the shorter game style of the blinds/stacks. Working a bonus at PR. Turbos are quick (30 minutes!) and standards are still only an hour, stack feels deeper at start, but it gets to pushbot mode later (and they wonder why you're doing it more than at party where people seem used to it).
You might not need PokerTracker, but do track your poker. I haven't bought PT yet, but am tempted routinely. I do have a spreadsheet where I track them. I've found tracking over long term helps shake me out of funk when I have a "huge" loss of a dozen buy-ins. Really not so bad when you realize what a blip that is, but spread out over 2 weeks, 12 losses feels terrible (takes the fun out until I realize it's a blip, and dive back in and start winning).
Beware, you might get sucked in. I went from a couple of SnGs a week to a few dozen. Fun at volume, though certainly nothing like pros.
I keep it fun, manage my bankroll (no redeposits!) and appreciate and apply the advice from here.
Welcome to the forum, see you at the tables.
-Matt