View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Some Advice From Your Public Defender

[ QUOTE ]

First, it's impossible to tell if she's a good lawyer based on her comments

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, ok

[ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that telling an innocent defendant they have no chance to beat the charges and convincing them to do a 1-3 year bid in a dangerous NY state prison is better than doing your research and helping the person get off?

[/ QUOTE ]

not exactly. i can't speak to the details of whether plea bargains are the norm or the exception.

[ QUOTE ]
I was speaking in general about public service, including social work and also public defense. It is indeed presumptuous.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess we're going to have to agree to disagree about this one...it's hard for me to imagine that someone could be presumptuous by trying to help others. social workers and public defenders don't go knocking on people's doors looking to get in their lives, they come in when it is determined that someone needs their help.

obviously, we could argue about the metric that determines whether one needs the help of social workers, but i'd rather not. to a point it could be argued that it is presumptuous for people to decide that others need help.

[ QUOTE ]
You'd be surprised how many social workers and child care workers don't take this seriously. Same thing for public defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're probably right.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe she just isn't good enough to get into private criminal defense? With her pessimistic attitude and self-important rambling, it wouldn't be a shock.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, could be.

ok, you have made good points.
bk