Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Conditional Suffrage?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ah. So because person A commits a crime, he should be imprisoned

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Drug dealers commit illegal acts, which is not the same as committing crimes. Do you see the difference?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
None of your post does anything to show that non-violent drug offenders are not political prisoners

[/ QUOTE ]

And none of your posts do anything to show that they are.

[ QUOTE ]
(which of course they are)

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "of course they are" you mean "I believe they are, but I haven't proven so," then yes - I agree completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

The act they are imprisoned for - trading some chemicals or some plants for some money - is a voluntary exchange of private property between two consenting adults. What could possibly be criminal about that? The only reason it's illegal is because imprisoning these people achieves some political goal.

[ QUOTE ]
Candidate A says drugs should be legal, but that everything else should be completely opposite to what you, Borodog, believe it should be.

Candidate B says drugs should stay illegal, but everything else should be exactly as you, Borodog, believe it should be.

Do you really think this person, who is ignorantly voting for someone for one reason alone, particularly the fact that he likes breaking the law, and ignoring everything else that is far more important, is making an informed decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for pointing out one of the big problems in our particular implementation of representative democracy. You can replace drug legalization for any "swing issue" and see why this system produces consistently crappy results.