View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Shorthanded O8 hand, paired board, shortstacked opponent

[ QUOTE ]
Buzz, I don't understand the fold against a player with sufficient chips since he did not raise pre-flop & likely may have raised on the flop with a 7 in his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ben - He didn't raise on the flop. He bet the flop. Are you thinking he would have check-raised with a seven, rather than straightforwardly betting the flop?

If so, I think that's a strong possibility. Kind of depends on a whole bunch of stuff, IMHO.

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to answer Roundhouse's original question about how I'd play differently against an opponent who was not short stacked. But my answer was in the context of the difference between playing against a short stacked opponent as opposed to an opponent who was not short stacked. (I'd be more likely to call an opponent with a short stack).

Let me rephrase my original answer.

Change "Yes. <font color="red">I'd fold</font> to the bet on the flop." to "Yes, <font color="blue">I might fold</font> to the bet on the flop."

Maybe I shouldn't have answered the question at all, because how I'd play really depends on a whole bunch of stuff. (But I'd still be more likely to call an opponent with a short stack).

What would I actually do if holding the same hand and facing the same flop in the same short handed situation (but not in comparison to how I'd play against a short stack)?

I don't know. It depends. If I thought SB had a seven, I'd fold. If I thought SB was bluffing, I'd call, rather than raise. (I wouldn't raise because I'd hate to get re-raised here and would fully expect to get re-raised whether SB was bluffing or not).

I wouldn't much like calling SB's 2nd round bet, but if I thought SB was bluffing, I'd probably call rather than raise hoping SB would bet the 3rd round too. Then what I might do would depend somewhat on the turn card and somewhat on what I though SB was doing.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like you have a better chance to get 1/2 or more than he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

If SB doesn't have a seven you do, but if SB does have a seven, you don't.

IMHO, SB's 2nd round bet in context with his first round call of Hero's raise, represents 7XYZ (or 66XY). Doesn't mean that's what SB holds. (SB might bluff or semi-bluff here).

Since Hero raised the first round, unless Hero always raises, Hero seems less likely to have a seven than if Hero had not raised. An alert SB, even a normally not particularly aggressive SB, might take advantage of the expectation Hero doesn't have a seven and bluff this flop, representing a seven (because Hero's first round raise tends to somewhat limit the possibilities of his hand).

If Hero plays every hand and always raises, then it would be harder to come to this conclusion. But if Hero uses some selectivity and generally raises with nice starting hands, then Hero is marked for a high probability of having a hand without a seven.

It's hard to answer a general question about what to do with a hand if this or that happens. It obviously depends not only on the situation and the particular opponent involved, but also on how other hands have been played.

Buzz