View Single Post
Old 05-02-2002, 12:38 PM

Default \"The Law of Least Tilt\"

I think the relative importance of skill and discipline is illustrated by what Mike Caro calls the Law of Least Tilt: that over the course of a long period of time, among a group of reasonably skilled players, the player who will make the most money over the course of that time is the one who spends the least amount of time on tilt.

(Mind you, I don't *know* that this "law" is true; but it makes sense and is consistent with my own perception of poker and the people who play it.)

All the skill in the world won't help you if you don't have what it takes to apply it consistently.

It doesn't take much skill to beat (say) the $6-$12 hold'em game at the Bicycle Club; but it certainly takes discipline to apply that small amount of skill in the assiduous and consistent manner needed to beat that game.

We've heard over and over about mid- and high-limit players who spend some time in small games waiting for seats in the games of their choice who spew rack after rack of chips while waiting. They certainly have the skill to beat the small games, but they don't apply the needed discipline, because the game is too small to matter.

("Though I coffeehouse with the tongues of men and angels, and have not discipline, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

"And thought I have the gift of card-reading, and understand all the hand-rankings, and all card knowledge; and though I have all faith in the long run so that I could move mountains of chips, and have not discipline, I am nothing....")