View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: atheists-- what is your source of hope?

[ QUOTE ]
I am not happy with these replies. They imply that atheists need to find some other source of hope to become atheists. Atheists should believe what they do soley because of science and logic. If that means no 'hope" so be it. Lemurs do perfectly well without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right in part and wrong in part.

I think while people don't need another source of hope to be an atheist, it's very difficult to sustain a position that is wrot with gloom and pessimism. While many of us would like to believe that our decisions are entirely based upon science and logic, especially those of us who play poker on a regular basis know that they are almost always intertwined.

A significant reason that I've always found religion difficult to stomach is exactly this; people long for hope, comfort, and a sense of belonging. They will very frequently ignore all science and logic in search for these things.

Thus, it takes a particularly stubborn, strong-willed person to rely solely upon their logical convictions to remain an atheist. Without some alternative source of hope, it is a difficult lifestyle to maintain.