View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 06:50 PM

Default My new preflop thing

A friend/2+2er was at my house a couple weeks and I watched him play some $25 (6 max). He'd raise a standard 3x+limpers normally, but with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, sometimes TT and AK he'd raise 8x.

I started using this strategy at my tables ($25NL and $100 NL 6 max) and it worked beautifully the first week, but my last week has been terrible. The huge preflop raise is getting more action than I'd expect, but postflop I generally win a small pot or lose a big one (AK,KK,QQ,JJ,TT have all been losers).

Is it possible people have caught on and have a big advantage by being able to put me on a specific group of hands? Is calling an 8x raise even correct with something like a small pp or suited connector knowing you're getting at best 11:1 implied with the perfect flop? I think I'm pretty good at folding these hands postflop when I'm beat, but there's some situations that I can't get away from, my average WtSD with the above hands is 27 (which is pretty standard for me) in the last week, but my W$SD is 56 (compared to 81 the previous week).

Is this strategy flawed? You got to love getting consistently called when you raise 8x preflop with these hands (only 8% of these didn't see a flop), but does it give away too much information?

I'm probably just running bad, but this is my worst 8k hand stretch in a long time, so I have to wonder if this new "strategy" is to blame. Any comments?