View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Probably know the answer but ... (help needed)

Thanks Harv, I appreciate your reply. As many have noted, you're posts are always thoughtful and on the mark.

I hope that my post flop play is average by 2+2 standards, I have no delusions that I am great post flop. From my lurking here it is my understanding that if you are "good" post flop, that a VPIP of low 20s was probably ideal for 2/4(based on a number of posts including "you play to tight" and "I hate you Tiger Woods") Good isn't terribly well defined. How far off base am I here?

So that is what I thought I should be striving towards - to be very good post flop, improve my hand reading ability (I think my biggest weakness skill wise), better at reading players and to tighten up my VPIP to try and get to that "ideal" mix for 2/4. Then make adjustments based on other limits or 6 max. Goal is to, yes, learn the game and become a very good player. Ultimately, I would like to become very good, good enough to play any table, any reasonable limit (low or mid) and feel comfortable/confident enough that I can play. I like to play. It's never going to be my job. The 4 to 8 table grind doesn't have a lot of appeal for me and I don't see how I can improve my hand and player reading playing so many tables.

Any reccomendations on working out the kinks? Based on your advice, I went out and got poker tracker and have been spending some time (not being quite diligent enough here) every session reviewing hands. So that is one thing I have added, any others?

Care to suggest what a large amount of hands is and what would be a good benchmark for a positive win rate? I'm assuming that 100,000 is usually considered a minimum large amount. I have 30,000 in poker tracker and 4x that undocumented prior to poker tracker. I do have a positive win rate but I have been using an (assumed) benchmark of 1.3 - 1.5 as an indicator that I am solidly beating 2/4. Obviously I have a long way to go. Are my assumptions accurate?

Again, thanks for the time you took to reply. Cheers.