View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Ditch this draw or play?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would also put UTG on a high PP 80% of the time here, I think he also likely calls an all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you think two people will call your push and that is an argument against pushing? Thats backwards. If two people call, you have about a 60% chance of tripling up. You aren't pushing here because you always want a fold. You are pushing here because you have a hand that is way too strong to fold, and really benefits from seeing two cards. Its sort of inconsequential what everybody else does. If they fold you pick up a nice sized pot, but even if they never fold you have 14 outs twice, so you are in a nice +EV spot.

On the other hand if you just call and brick the turn if the UTG player folded on the flop you can get bet off your hand if he pushes wasting the 30% of your stack you already put in, and if UTG called then there's about 600 in the pot and you will have to call off the rest of your chips anyway getting roughly 2:1 on a 2:1 shot. Plus if you hit on the turn there is no guarentee you are getting paid off. Its a lot easier for a guy to fold AQ when there is a 4 card straight, or 3 to a flush out there.

Tell me again what makes calling better?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was more along the lines that if we're pushing the flop hoping for folds, it's not happening. I tried to say that 1, but probably not both other actors are going to call. If you guys are saying you don't care, then that's fine, but I thought that that was the reason you wanted to push, b/c you thought you had fold equity. I was trying to give reasons that individually, both of those actors call. the 200 chip raisor is probably doing this with 2 pr or something, he's trying to prevent the flush draw, and he's not laying down to a push. The other guy, (to respond to the other poster) I've played this tourney a lot, I can't tell you how many times I've seen the min raise UTG w/ AA or KK, followed by a min bet post flop. I'm sticking to an 80% chance. He's probably not laying down to a push either.

BUT I don't see it as super likely that both call. I could easily be wrong about UTG, more likely I'm wrong about him than the other guy. The point still is though that you're giving yourself worse odds than you could be. Get what I'm saying?

I've played this tourney a lot, and I could very easily see me calling here,and UTG calling. I could also very likely see UTG pushing and then you get to see what other guy does. That's key. I'm not saying that pushing here is bad per se, it's not a bad move at all. More like I'm willing to take the chance here for more chips early on, and I think there's a good chance that I get checks to me on the turn, or at least small bets. This way has a good chance of making sure both get all their money in on the flop, if they're inclined to do so.

edit: Oh yeah, I didn't notice that there were still the blinds in the hand. That's even more reason I like a call here. Don't scare away more potential callers. My point is basically that I'm playing this expecting to push (or call some pushes) at some point, very likely the flop after I call the bet. I know that my push is going to get called, and since we know I'm probably drawing to the best hand, I want to make sure I get as many possible other callers as I can. I think my way is the best way to do this, rather than pushing when it gets to me.