View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 04:16 PM

Default the general idea

I like your basic idea. But, that two-pair-type data sounds useless for two big reasons: 1) that win-percentage # is MOSTLY times when you weren't even calling the river (because you were the aggressor or you just checked it down), 2) even if you did filter the data to just where you called the river bet, the texture of the board & the specific opponents' personalities are much more important than the general quality of your own hand (pair, two pair, flush) taken alone out-of-context.

I've long been using your basic idea, though, in NL play: I keep an eye on my W$_at_showdown_when_I_call_on_river %. If that number is less than about 50%, I suspect I'm calling too much. If it's more than about 30%, I suspect I'm calling too little. (Yes, I should often suspect both!)

Right now, I'm at 63%, so I almost KNOW I'm calling too little -- just hard to say exactly where [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Illustrating: Any systematic approach like this requires so much good individual-cases judgment to apply at all -- much less to fine tune.