View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Why are poker players (and in particular these forums) so hostile?

I have actually considered staring a thread on "The Psychology of Flaming" but it looks like you beat me to it.

My take on the whole thing is mainly that it is easy to take ones' frustrations out on others while hiding behind the anonymity of an internet message board. Mean-spirited behavior online is not unique to poker websites.

Furthermore, responding to some smart-ass with a comment like, "It's too bad we aren't face to face right now" only makes one look like Type-A personality white trash- when, indeed, the person on the defensive probably could smack the living crap out of the initial antagonist.

The 2+2er Blarg is a nice example of a self-satisfied contributor. From what I have gathered, he could administer a thorough beatdown to most people on the planet if forced to do so. Yet, he is one of the most friendly, eloquent and helpful posters around here. He has nothing to prove and therefore he feels no need to be an ass.

Although sometimes it is hard to resist a wry remark it seems to me that message board hostility is a product of frustration with ones' powerlessness and insignificance in the big scheme of things. It is unfortunate that these people don't take their problems out on their spouses, children, co-workers and employees like a normal human being would. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]