View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Serenity: the movie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really a fan of Joss Whedon, but I thoroughly enjoyed Buffy The Vampire Slayer so I thought I'd give Serenity a try (Note: Buffy the movie. I thought the show was an abomination).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see. This is what I don't get. Buffy the movie was an excellent comedic slap at everything high school faux cool. The whole movie took nothing seriously, not even itself. It was a brilliant piece of satire.

Then you get the show (of which my friends have only made me watch 100 goddamned episodes). It takes itself seriously and tries to develop these intricate, yet involving plotlines, and fails miserably at it. The characters are trite and play exactly as they are written - as if a 40 year old is trying to write something hip for his 18-something audience. It's as if Whedon is trying to channel Salinger, and instead gets Dr. Seuss. On top of that the sheer number of banal add-on zombies, demons, ghosts, ubergods, etc. was just mind boggling. It seems no one could come to terms with the fact that the movie was a flash in the pan - a single serving dish. That anyone continued to be interested with the mind-numbingly pedestrian dialogue and stream-of-consciousness style plot devices is beyond me.

The movie was scathing and witty.

The show was ordinary on its best days.