View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:50 PM

Default How much am I giving up by playing on Stars and not Party?

First a bit of background..

I know that I am a very strong player. I know that I am capable of beating 2/5 NL and 5/10 NL online.

For the first two years of my poker career I've had pretty terrible bankroll management. I treat my winnings as "found money" and reward myself with an impulse purchase. Consequently I've never had anywhere near the roll to consistently play the aforementioned 2/5, 5/10 etc. I've taken my shots (won and lost), but I think we all recognize the inherent pyschological edge that a properly bankrolled player has over an equally skilled but underbankrolled one.

Now I'm ready for more. I'm ready to build a roll and do it the right way. I had $400 sitting in my Stars account (no $ on Party) and fired up 4 tables of 0.5/1 NL (I realize this is considered ridiculously underbankrolled, more on that later). I've been beating the ever loving tar out of this game as expected -- run $400 into $2400 in a few days. Please no sermons on short term results -- there's no question that I can beat the hell out of these limits -- I've been doing it for years.

Like I said I want to do this right, so I'm going to stick at 0.5/1 NL until I hit the $4k mark and move on to 1/2. The goal here is to build as quick as possible to get up to the 2/4 limits and beyond ($8k+). Should I swap some money around and focus more on Party? The consensus from nearly all is that Party definitely has better games.

Can anyone comment on the differences in these games? Any idea what I might be giving up? Does it depend on playing style?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.