View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: I forgot how to play poker.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not that I'm frustrated about bad beats or losing money. It's that I don't know if I'm playing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually question my game when a specific situation consistently confuses me. I’m especially vulnerable to self-doubt when a confusing situation repeats itself relentlessly in a short time frame.

Two things can put confidence back in your game:
1) Luck – you run good for a while
2) Effort on your part

It’s nice to get lucky, but if you actually want to get to the bottom of the question “am I playing well?” and get some confidence back in your game it takes a lot of hard work and honest self-evaluation.

Some ideas in the hard work department:
-Post hands with specific questions. When you find yourself in doubt while playing, write down the situation or hand number. Later on, pick the top 2 or 3 most confusing situations / hands you have on your list and post them.
-Reply to posted hands when you think you know the answer – reinforce the good decisions you are already making, or possibly discover leaks you didn’t even know you had.
-Study – books, strategy posts
-Discuss situations / strategy with friends
-List goes on and on…

If you are not prepared to put in the hard work at the moment for whatever reason - there are still options…take a break, move down limits, get a part time job – I think these options are all workable and I’ve tried them all with varying degrees of success. Then just come back to poker when you are ready.