View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Best year of the new millenium for music

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[music elitist]
Your friends listen to shi[/i]tty music.
[/music elitist]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that we sit around and listen to the latest Maroon 5 CD. Most of my friends like classic rock (or older rap), so obviously it would be hard to know who any of these bands are. Either way, are these bands actually well known or do only trendy music snobs listen to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I actually figured that was the case, because most people on here who ask "who the [censored] are these bands?" in OOT music threads just don't seem like the Top 40 crappy rock/pop types, you included. Nothing wrong with classic rock, rap, etc -- it's just that the best music being made right now when it comes to rock and pop are from indie bands.

It's hard to gauge how common it is for people to know these bands, because most of them are on (or started on) indie labels and thus don't get radio play other than on college stations. So you have to seek them out a little bit, and the main demographic seems to be college kids.

In my case, I'd say about 50% of my friends would recognize a lot of the bands listed here, maybe more. Whether or not they're trendy music snobs depends on what that means. For example, whenever one of these threads starts up, us trendy music snobs are quick to point out that our favorite all-time bands are still usually classic rock and pop -- Beatles, Dylan, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, etc etc.

If being a "trendy music snob" means that I think most of the best music being made right now isn't being played on MTV/Clear Channel, then yeah, I am. If it means that I feel superior because most people haven't heard of these bands and I have, then not really. In fact, I hate people who stop liking indie bands that get somewhat popular (see: Modest Mouse).