View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Poker Academy Pro vs the Standard version

[ QUOTE ]
What is the difference between the two versions of Poker Academy? To be honest I'm just getting started with online poker and have not actually deposited any money before. I'd prefer to purchase the standard version because it's cheaper, but if the standard version is complete crap, I may just do the deal they have at poker source online to hopefully save some money.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pro version has more bells and whistles (hand evaluator, "enhanced" AI (likely BS imho), and tools to run simulations (which I doubt you would ever use).

Just go with the standard version... It should get you better prepared for real money games than play-money tables or nano-limits ($.02/$.04 etc.) would, since the play is semi-realistic and your opponent skill-sets are adjustable if you choose to do so.

[ QUOTE ]
To help you out, here is what I want to accomplish.
1. Not be a looser at poker
2. It's still just for fun (no WSOP dreams)
3. Understand odds better
4. Read my enemy's hands better

[/ QUOTE ]

There will still be a very real psychological difference once you sit down and play for real money after practicing with Poker Academy, but still, like I said, the software should be pretty useful to you.

The software along with reading these forums should set you on the right track to finally depositing at a poker site.

When you feel ready, I personally recommend scrounging up 10 bucks and depositing at a site offering nano-limits, like PokerStars. In fact, I think some sites offer a free 10 bucks just for signing up (Royal Vegas?).

I understand that you are a dumb-ass, but as long as you aren't a complete idiot, you should be able to have loads of fun and rarely need to re-deposit, if ever again.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been lurking around for a while, and have learned a pretty good deal from the forum, but I'm looking for a more hands on education. (Sorry for the horrible first post, I don't mean to be begging for help already.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You came here for help, and given your attitude, you'll likely get it from many around here.

Welcome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]