View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: What book should I listen to next

[ QUOTE ]
Pay special attention to the chapter on the effect of posting on the internet about books on tape.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would seem this is some sort of sarcastic insult. Frankly, I'm not "getting it", but don't take this to mean that appending an explanation is either warranted or wanted.

[ QUOTE ]
If I had to choose one, I'd go with Dostoevsky. How did you like Zinn's book btw? Eye-opening, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]
I appreciated the thrust of the message, and while it was indeed eye opening, and did make me distrustful of the government, I thought it went a tad overboard. What I mean is, it did so to the extent that it's credibility became suspect, and became so much agenda-pushing. The author did alot of 'quote one random person', as if it were proof of the public's general attitude overall towards some issue. Admittedly, the author acknowledged the slant was an intentional response to centuries of history otherwise slanted in favor of the oppressors, but it still detracted from the experience, IMO.

It's completely unrelated subject matter, but I thought I'd mention I'm enjoying Short History of Nearly Everything signifigantly more. I found Damon and Zinn to be a bit dry, whereas the narrator of SHoNE is amazingly adept at delivering the book in a conversational tone. And the subject matter is more personally interesting to boot (Science >> Politics).