View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: The Jays are the best team in the AL East

[ QUOTE ]
I must be the only Yankee fan worried about the Jays. I wouldn't be surprised to see NY finish under .500 next year. They still don't have a CF, Posada is getting old, who knows what's going on at 1B. They lost Gordon in the pen. No lead-off hitter, too many DH's, ect. Doesn't look good in NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a Yankee fan but I'll happily agree with you. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

When you have an old team like the Yankees, maintaining the status quo is almost always going to be a net loss on the previous season. There's variance, of course, but all things being equal we would expect almost all of their key players except A-Rod, Matsui, Pavano, and perhaps Jeter to be getting progressively worse at this point in their careers.

I also think the Yankees got some good luck last year, getting great production out of some very marginal players like Small, Wang, Cano, and Chacon. Admittedly, they are unlikely to have the same pitching injuries, but I honestly doubt a healthy Wright and Pavano will be better than what they got out of their patchwork rotation in the second half